When you lose your job, you have some time to kill, and this time seems long if you love your work and you can’t stand doing nothing. This what happened to me. I decided to take a new challenge. Create a game in 8 days using Unity3D and Photoshop. Ok I don’t start from scratch. I use a previous code from another game I created. I enhanced it a bit. But all the graphics are new. I decided to create an old school shoot’hem up using pixel art.
The code itself is from the Unity Hat Trick free asset. How is it possible to make a shoot them up from this? This is the magic of Unity a very powerful game engine.(Update : I just saw that Unity has updated it’s content with a shoot’hem up example inside this asset. I did not used this new code, only the old Hat Trick code)
In 2011, I discovered Unity, at that time no asset store, just the documentation and some pieces of code examples. The power of unity? A great community from the beginning. My first project: Mysteries of Notre Dame de Paris took me 9 months of development. Then Rabbi Shalom 3 Months. My last game, Super Marble Bot : one month. Now it’s time to start my next new challenge: 8 days!
Don’t hesitate to come back each day to discover new updates from this challenge and share this page with your friends. If you have any questions just add your comment at the end.
Day 1 : Hero, Alien and co.
Why pixels? First of all because of the new pixel art revival, then because of the unity 2D mode that now allows to create 2D games. But finally the real cause is that it reminds me my first arts in 1990 using deluxe paint on my Amiga500. Too bad there was not a powerful tool as Unity at that time, pretty sure I would have created something cool. So I learned my job with deluxe paint, creating lots of artworks and animation in 32 colours. Nowadays I feel back this freedom in my blood, the freedom of creativity.
I used Photoshop in Pixel art mode. For those who are interested, there are pretty good tutorials on YouTube about how to set up Photoshop for pixel art. The size of the sprite is 64 px in 24 bits. I use shades to enhance the sprite to be more 2015. For drawing I don’t use the mouse as on my Amiga500 but a Wacom Cintiq 13.
Day 2 : Setting up the Background.
I decided to create a nightly background with stars in the sky, as to remember old space shoot them up. I also integrated the sprites in Unity starting with simple animations and corrected some collisions bugs.
Day 3 – Setting up the Foreground.
Ok this is the main Idea of the game. Protect your city until it would be completely destroyed by an Alien invasion. To create the foreground I get inspired by photos of middle east wars and earthquake chaos. I started with the buildings destroyed. Lots of details to add here, i worked without patterns to avoid repetitive stuff. Next steps, work on the non destroyed city.
Day 4 designing the non-destroyed buildings
I started working on the non destroyed building. With Photoshop I designed patterns that will be integrated in Unity. Each Pattern is a 20px square. When an enemy fire on the building the sprite is destroyed revealing the ruin in the background.
Then I imported the patterns into Unity, added collision, and set up the buildings. In unity you can change the colour of each pattern to add some differences between the buildings, to create fake shadows or to create a depth effect.
Day 5 New enemy and enhancements.
Today I corrected the buildings positions add more depth to the city and leave more space between the buildings. I created a new enemy (design and code) that can shoot the player – other enemies are destroyed on contact. I added an animation to this enemy. I changed the font for something more pixelized that remind old good 8bits games. I changed the texture of the virtual stick and fire button for mobile devices. I use small pixelized textures. I also add more pixels on the particles emitter, now the explosions seems more oldies. Finally I corrected some bugs, I enhanced the score calculation and the general difficulty of the game.
Day 6 win screen and UI
Today I started working on the Home screen, the win screen and buttons. I integrated the actions of each buttons.
Day 7 : facebook integration and enhancements.
I integrated a Facebook button to share the player’s score with his friends. I used the Facebook SDK for unity. I Also corrected all the particles emitter because of lags on the mobile version. Did some tests. Still have some crash after sharing with Facebook. I don’t now if it is a problem of incompatibility of Facebook / Unity5 or a problem of memory due to the number of enemies. I also noticed that the score’s title is erased by Facebook in the feed, if I put a link to googleplay. I needed to put a link to a website or deeplinks that redirect to the correct platform. Then the score’s commentary is not erased by Facebook.
Sound design :
Thanks to the Unity asset store, I downloaded free sounds and music assets and added them to the project.
Day 8 : Music and sounds, App icon, screenshots, app description, upload
Last stuff to do before uploading the app, correcting some bugs, testing the app, creating screenshots, creating the app icon. I also wrote the app description, uploaded the app both on googleplay and Facebook via Parse hosting services. Here it is the App is now available on GooglePlay and Desktop via Facebook.
Last problem, unable to build to iPhone. Tons or errors, I don’t know if it is due to Facebook SDK that is not compatible with Unity5 or if it’s a problem of the old version of Xcode. I can’t update xcode, because I need to update OSX, and my mac is 4 years old. I noticed that uploading OSX on old machines make them really slow. For the moment there won’t be any iOS version 😦
Play my Moon Attack Game on Android and Desktop, click on the icon bellow:
Thanks for having followed me on these 8 last days, don’t forget to share the story with your friends.